BLOCKY PARAGRAPHS!

HI GUYS!!!

So it's time to write more about actual writing. Too much READING TOOLS!

Today I will be talking about the effects of writing long, blocky, descriptive paragraphs. This is for any writer of any type of piece of writing.

So when you are writing, you want to avoid writing really long blocky paragraphs. For example:

So basically I was walking down the street. The trees were green, the flowers were blooming, the sun was shining, and my new shoes glistened in the sunlight. The sun was blazing and it was very hot, and I was starting to break a sweat. I started running, but then I realized that it wasn't going to help to run. Instead, the sun was just going to make me hotter and hotter. So I tried my best to find shade, but as I looked around, I saw none. I started to cry as I realized that there were three more miles. My car had ran out of gas, and my husband was at work in the city. My kids were still at home, and my son, who was nineteen, still didn't know how to drive AT ALL. I was so scared. I wanted to scream, but I was in a quiet neighborhood and it would have the disturbed the peace and the quiet calm that lay over the street like a thin film on a window.

That is just a small example, but things like that can bore readers, especially if your publisher picks a small font (of course, that cannot be helped). Try to avoid these paragraphs because...

*It will bore readers
*It was exasperate readers
*It will cause readers to skim

Although you may write a long block of dialogue, try to limit it by doing something along the lines of:

"So basically, here's the plan." I paused dramatically and looked around.
Daya nodded at me, so I continued. "Anyways, you are going to go to this area and stay there UNDERCOVER. Please do not blow your cover. Something bad could happen."

This is a super small example, but I didn't want to accidentally want a novel here :)

Basically, use breaks such as write a different piece of someone else's dialogue instead of having one person talking and creating a long paragraph.

Thanks for reading. Please comment, and visit my other blogs! Also, do not judge my examples. It was improv and I did it off the spot. :) MIC

Comments

Post a Comment

Hi all! Please comment!

Popular Posts