Forced Reads and How to Like Them

Hey guys! So I know I haven't been posting in about FOREVER, and I am so sorry about that! I will try my best to post more often, but I have realized that it is futile to make promises that I can't keep. So I will not have any schedule; I'll just post when I feel like it.

Ok, today I will be talking about forced reads and how to like them.

Firstly, WHAT IS A FORCED READ?

A forced read is a term I coined myself and who knows if other people use it, because I had never heard of it. I made it myself :D Anyways, a forced read is a book or story that you are being FORCED to READ, either for school or a book club, etc. You may not always have a say in what you are forced to read, because either way, you're going to have to read something that you otherwise wouldn't have ever picked up before. So...

A forced read is a book that you are forced to read for school or clubs.

For example, at my school, we have this thing known as book clubs. We recently had our mystery genre and I have never been known to enjoy reading any type of mystery or suspense. So I wasn't all that excited about the genre choice. But it was a forced genre.

My group and I had a big problem choosing which book to read. The teacher gave us a selection of books that we could choose from, but everyone wanted to read something different. Finally, we just chose a book that wasn't as popular to read, and we read it.

This book was Doomed by Tracy Deebs, which I reviewed on iRead.

I won't go into my feelings about the forced read, but it wasn't my favorite book. Soon, we read about three more books, and I really didn't 100% enjoy any of them, but like I said, they were forced reads.

Sometimes in life, you are going to have to do something you don't want to do, or read something you don't want to read, so here is what I do to start to enjoy the book a little more.

1) I try my best to pay attention to the characters instead of the plot. If I really don't enjoy the plot, I will still probably enjoy reading about the characters. And although this may sound weird, let me just say that this is a good strategy for any book that you don't really like. Still take in the book's meanings, etc, but you don't have to 100% focus on the plot. Instead, take the time to look at the characters and discover their personalities.

2) Find the part of the book that matches one of your favorite genres. For me, that was romance, so although the books I read didn't have as much romance, I still tried to go in depth on those parts, however cheesy they might be, and still know what's going on in the rest of the book.

3) Read more of the dialogue. Don't skip the description, but pay more attention to the dialogue for a more fun and quick read.

That's it for today! Please comment down below and tell me about any forced reads that you've had to make!

Comments

Popular Posts